Coda File System

Liscense issues..

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_drgw.net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 12:01:06 -0600 (CST)
On 7 Jan 1999, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Peter Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu> writes:
> > - Coda is now GPL'd - primarily because we want to indicate that we are
> > really an OSS project.
>
> This will make it impossible to include Coda in the NetBSD kernel,
> however. We only accept BSD copyrighted code.
>
> Perry

I'm sure the intent was that the *user-level* parts of coda would be GPL'd
(like gcc, samba, gzip, etc), and the kernel modules would remain with a
liscence similiar to their respective kernels.

Maybe a solution is to GPL the user-level stuff, and leave all the kernel
modules (includeing the linux version) under a BSD/public domain liscense.
This would keep the BSD kernel people happy, and as far as I know Linux
has no problem including BSD-ish code. (correct me if I'm wrong).

This would provide coda *as a system* with GPL protection, since the
kernel module is pretty much useless without the user level programs.

Since as far as I know, all of the authors of Coda so far have been in the
Coda group, they can change the liscence however they see fit.

| Troy Benjegerdes    |       troy_at_microux.com     |    hozer_at_drgw.net   |
|    Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first.  |
| This message composed with 100% free software.    http://www.gnu.org   |