Coda File System

Re: Liscense issues..

From: Kragen Sitaker <kragen_at_pobox.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 17:06:31 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Sean E. Millichamp wrote:
> Disclaimer: IANAL
>
> While there is often much BSD-ish code in various Linux distributions I
> thought that the GPL prohibited inclusion of, or linking to, any code that
> is non-GPL.

Pretty much.  You can license your version of XFree86 code under the
GPL if you like.  So it's OK to link it with GPLed code.

>  Since the Linux kernel is GPL would that not prohibit the
> linking/inclusion of BSD code into the kernel tree?

Yes, because the BSD license includes some restrictions that make it
impossible to distribute it under the GPL.

> I think that the only
> way that it could happen legally is by a loadable module, am I way off on
> this?

RMS believes that loadable modules violate the GPL; Linus disagrees.
Eventually someone will sue someone, and it'll be settled in court.

[around 1998-12-23], it is amazing to watch fear and loathing and greed at
play with the more speculative Internet stocks.  To call this a tulip
craze would be a vast understatement. -- Adam Rifkin, <adam_at_cs.caltech.edu>