Coda File System

Re: Bug in 'backup'

From: Kurt Huwig <kurt_at_huwig.de>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1999 03:57:02 +0200
Thanx for your fast answer.

The documentation about backup doesn´t say anything about how and where
to run the 'backup' program - the documentation about backup is somehow
outdated - there are no file like 'host' and 'file.. I supposed to have
it to run on the SCM.

With this patch, it runs on the SCM, but does not dump onto another
machine. My '/vice/db/vicetab' reads:

smuf   /vicepa   ftree   width=64,depth=3
kurti  /backup   backup
smuf  /backup   backup

where 'smuf' is the SCM. Without the last line, it bails out with 'No
diskpartitions for backup!! Bailing out.'

BTW: There is no documentation about how to set up a replicating server,
i.e. a server that is in the same VSG and replicates volumes. I can
write a HOWTO and put it on my webserver, but where to send it for
public use?

Kurt

Jan Harkes schrieb:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 10:52:07PM +0200, Kurt Huwig wrote:
> > in 'coda-src/volutil/backup.cc':
> >
> >     if (dumpdir) {      /* User specified a dump directory! */
> >
> > The last line should be replaced by
> >
> >     if( dumpdir[ 0 ] ) {      /* User specified a dump directory! */
> >
> > otherwise, it has no effect. I'm compiling it right now, but I upgraded
> > to 5.3.2, so I have to rebuild everything...
>
> Yup, currently it has the effect of always being true. So if the user
> doesn't specify a dumpdir it will try to do chdir(""), which might
> return an error, which results in the message "Set dump directory" and
> backup exits.
>
> I'm not sure what the preferred behaviour is in this case. Maybe the
> code should read something like:
>
>     if (dumpdir[0] = '\0') {
>         perror("No dumpdirectory specified");
>         exit(-1);
>     }
>     if (chdir(dumpdir) != 0) {
>         fprintf(stderr, "Cannot chdir to %s:", dumpdir);
>         perror("");
>         exit(-1);
>     }
>
>     strftime(...) ; strcat(dumpdir, "/") ; strcat(dumpdir, today) ;
>     if (mkdir(dumpdir) != 0) {
>         fprintf(stderr, "Cannot create %s:", dumpdir);
>         perror("");
>         exit(-1);
>     }
>     chdir(dumpdir);
>
> But I'll apply the fix you proposed, as the manpage lists dumpdir as an
> optional argument...

Dave. Stop. Stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave? I'm afraid.
I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it...