Coda File System

Re: vice error ...

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:18:46 -0500
On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 01:06:52PM -0800, Phil Nelson wrote:

> >In any case, your resolution logs just wrapped. Had a disfunctional replica
> >for a while? These logs get truncated by COP2 messages (which indicate that
> >all servers saw the operation), or by resolution.
>
> No, no disfunctional replicas.  It is a singly replicated volume.
> This is one thing Peter mentioned to me that needs to be fixed.  If I
> understand it correctly, a singly replicated volume won't get a COP2
> message and thus won't correctly truncate the logs, thus the above
> happened.

It will get COP2 messages, but.... CO2's aren't guaranteed. With replicated
volumes this doesn't matter that much because when a COP2 is missed the VV's
will be in conflict and resolution is triggered which does the truncation.

There is even a special case in resolution for missed COP2's, if the
store-id's are identical a missed cop is assumed. This is nicked weak-equality
in the resolution sources.