Coda File System

Re: IPv6 with Coda Project

From: Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>
Date: 18 Jul 2005 08:07:18 -0400
I've seen almost no traffic on this list, even though it's arguably
the right one for your query.  Perhaps also
"Coda List <codalist_at_coda.cs.cmu.edu>" is appropriate.

iWat <iwatth_at_gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I'm a student from Kasetsart Universirt, Thailand. I and my
> friends are going to work on Coda, hacking it to support IPv6. We do
> not sure how long will it takes, and we are very new with Coda, but
> we'll try our best...
>
> There is one question I want to get its answer ...
> - Is there any working project to make Coda runs on IPv6 ?

I believe that RPC2 now works with v6.

Issues you'll run into are:

coda servers at least used to not work well when multihomed (2 IPv4
addresses).  With v6 support, the normal approach would be to listen
on both v4 and v6.  It may be that opening a socket per address, bound
to that address, will enable these issues to be avoided, and that
already might be the cast.  Alternatively, IP_RECVIF can be used.

I believe that Coda encodes IP addresses within the protocol.  It may
be appropriate at some point to change the protocol to use an AF
indicator followed by an address.  This raises issues of backwards
compatibility.

> I don't want the duplication of works, or if there is, so we can share
> information to achive this project ...

Jan will speak up I'm sure.

--
        Greg Troxel <gdt_at_ir.bbn.com>