Coda File System

Re: is it implemented?

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 08:32:03 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Elliot,

fdatasync is _exactly_ what we want. The problem is that fdatasync is not
implemented on Linux 2.0 as far as I know (Ted seems to have confirmed
this to me).  Do you know someone who can fill this gap?

fsync is MUCH worse than a raw device since it updates both the file data
_and_ the inode metadata involving a head move of the disk.   A somewhat
larger server ground to a halt doing that here.

A third option is to use chattr +S which makes writes of attributes and
file data synchronous for just a single file.  Again, we got far too much
head movement.

- Peter -