Coda File System

Re: when /rvm fills up /, bad things happen

From: Henry Pierce <hmpierce_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 1997 14:48:32 -0400 (EDT)
Bradley,

	Bear in mind that I am still new to Coda Group, however, I would
recommend a seperate partition, if that is an option for you, for /rvm.
The size of this partition should be aprox. the size you specifiy to
venus for your cache (I would actually recommend about 5% more space than
that for a mounted fs).  Also, remember that rvm under non-linux systems
is usually a raw partition utilized in a manner similar to swap (but it
isn't really the same thing).  Our Linux setup program is designed to use a normal linux fs
for the /rvm tree to make it easy to get up an running and be useful but
it isn't very scalable but it does work well for small needs.  But yes, if
the area you are using for rvm becomes full, very bad things happen :( and
we are working on ways to help ease how the system reacts when such things
happen.

regards,
henry m. pierce

Henry M. Pierce
Research Programmer
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsbugh, PA

hmpierce_at_cs.cmu.edu	hmp_at_infomagic.com