Coda File System

Re: Coda and GNU/Linux systems

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:11:41 -0500 (EST)
Richard,

I'm honoured by your interest, and I'll try to use "Linux based GNU
systems" from time to time.

There are a number of bugs in Coda that can lead to corrupt data in Coda.
They are unlikely to crop up in strongly connected non replicated server
setups, but when using re-integration, resolution and repair there is a
bug in the transaction handling that can write stale buffer cache data to
the disk.

We use Coda for almost everything and it doesn't happen a lot, but it is
very painful to have to "repair" a volume with corrupt metadata.  Hence,
no production use.

I expect to fix this during the next few months.

- Peter -