Coda File System

Re: extended attributes?

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:34:15 -0500 (EST)
It sure would be nice and it so happens that some people at Yale are
perhaps going to tinker with the protection system anyway.  Why don't we
make life a little more difficult for them :)

Where is this stuff specified.

Coda could be the foundation for high performance network computers that
use their disk only as cache, and boot from a ramdisk to fire up Coda and
then mount coda on the root (more or less).   If the system gets hosed
"cfs flushcache" would discard the entire harddisk and future references
would download new copies from the server. New copies on servers would
always be immediately visible, but normally, things would run at local
disk speeds.

Clearly in such situations good "super-user" capabilities could be very
useful.

- Peter -