Coda File System

Re: coda 4.3.13 on RHL 5.0 + egcs 1.0.1

From: Michael Callahan <mjc_at_rodagroup.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1998 22:21:42 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Jim Doyle wrote:
> You guys are doing user-space threads on Linux ??  I had a quick look at
> the LWP library in Coda.

Yes, for historical reasons.  The coda code has roots in the mid-80s,
before the widespread availability of threads on Unix.  There is/was some
support for kernel threads on Mach in some parts of Coda, I think, but I
don't know if that code has run recently.

Unfortunately, the Coda code may rely on the non-preemptive nature of the
user-level thread implementation.

RVM _is_ supposed to be really thread-safe, and one big win would be to
let the RVM log compaction run in parallel with the other (nonpreemptive)
threads.

A good project for someone, perhaps...

Michael