Coda File System

Re: Corrupt files [Re: coda-4.3.13 src: 64-bit safety problems]

From: J.A. Harkes <Jan.Harkes_at_cwi.nl>
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 1998 14:15:41 +0100
In message <Pine.LNX.3.95.980209073018.3750C-100000_at_air.steve.net> you
wrote:

  > Sure, when 'make mrproper' fails to remove the directories it
thinks are
  > busy, I just cd into linux/include and rm -rf them manually.

If that's /usr/src/linux/include, that's bad. AFAIK the linux kernel
does not install these files, but provides them in the source tar-ball.

  > As another data point, when copying the source over with 'cp -a
linux
  > /coda/drc/linux', I see a complaint of 'Permission denied' after
each
  > file.  However, I'm unsure what it's complaining about, as the
files are
  > actually (with some spurious exceptions per above) placed on the
target.

Are the owner/group-id of the original files by any chance root.root??
The cp -a also tries to copy timestamps/permissions AND uid/gid. And
most likely you don't have or get permission to change the owner to root
on a Coda fs.

BTW. When you're trying to compile the linux kernel on a coda partition
you probably need to have the symlink /usr/src/linux -> /coda/src/linux.

BTW 2. I noticed that the size of the client (venus) cache must be at
least 2x the size of the resulting program, otherwise linking fails with
a weird linker error. The linker needs to have all object-files and the
resulting destination file open, and thus cached locally. So your 20000
should be fine for anything smaller than 10Mb.

As for the copying taking an hour:
 I get a bandwidth of at least 250kb/s when running both the client and
 server on a 486/66 with 16MB RAM and 30MB swap. Which results in
 _copying_ a clean linux-2.1.85 kernel tree in around 3 minutes.

 But.. when I do the same over a 115200 bps serial link it would take
 over 1 hour, if nothing would crash before that ;)