Coda File System

Re: inode methods

From: <thoth_at_purplefrog.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:48:24 -0500
"Theodore Y. Ts'o" <tytso_at_MIT.EDU> ,in message <199802110306.WAA26181_at_dcl.MIT.E
	DU>, wrote:

> Finally, the other thing I'd like you to do, please, is to define a new
> bit to be used in the i_flags field of the inoded:
>
> #define EXT2_DISCONNECTED_FL	0x00000100	/* Disconnected inode */

  Call me thick, but I think it's silly to prevent the recycling of
disconnected inodes.  What you really should be doing is connecting them
somewhere outside the "normal" directory structure.  e.g., reserve inodes 7,
70, and 700 for a directory that contains all the un-fnamed inodes (I say
keep three copies in case one gets nuked by a bad sector, and the numbers I
gave should probably be replaced by ones spread throughout the cylinder
groups).

  Or maybe you should just make your own filesystem type.

--
Bob Forsman                                   thoth_at_gainesville.fl.us
           http://www.gainesville.fl.us/~thoth/