Coda File System

Re: metadata, logs and files

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:40:59 -0500 (EST)
I think the layout of things might really be in the way of performance
here.

a) syncing of the FTREEDB in "/vicepa" occurs currently for every
create/remove.  Probably with new inode methods this will go away.

The kernel however syncs the entire partition -- this could cost you
badly.

b) same for the LOG and the data: are they RAW partitions, i.e. hdb7 & 8
(for example) or FILES in these partitions.

The log is ideally on a disk by itself since it is written sequentially
and this eliminates the seeks.   When transactions occur, the log is
synced.

Just out of curiosity, I'd like you to move the FTREEDB to another disk
(you'll have to put a symlink in place of its currentl location) and try
once more.

Peter