Coda File System

Re: protection database - lower edge

From: Kragen <kragen_at_pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 22:57:25 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> > GNU dbm (gdbm) format.
>
> Recommendation: dump gdbm in favor of the follow-on work to Berkeley
> dbm, available from http://www.sleepycat.com.  This code has lots of
> good properties, including speed, transactions, multi-user locking,
> on-line hot backups, and a port to Windows.  *I have never encountered
> a bug in db2 while using it correctly*.

By `db2', I assume you mean Berkeley DB version 2.0, not the well-known
relational database DB2 from IBM, right?

> The license says you can use it commercially
> if you distribute the source for your application.

The license at http://www.sleepycat.com/license.net requires a little
bit more; it requires not only that you distribute the source, but also
that you make the source freely redistributable.

The page that points to the license
(http://www.sleepycat.com/db.download.html) appears to contradict this,
saying it can only be freely used under non-commercial conditions.  Perhaps
the sleepycat people could clarify their intent here.

Kragen