Coda File System

Re: Ubik and PTS issues

From: Brian Bartholomew <bb_at_wv.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 1998 23:44:49 -0500
> I think a better solution would be to use D2PC (distributed
> two-phase commit). ...  I dont think it would be hard to build a
> mini TP monitor to do this

I've been trying to get the isis/Horus/Ensemble distributed
simultaneous group broadcast code released as freely redistributable,
including sending some calculated flames.  My understanding is it will
make writing distributed transactions utterly trivial.

Right now you can pick it up from
http://www.cs.cornell.edu/Info/Projects/Ensemble/index.html.  However
it's encrypted, requires a per-user license, and the distribution is
incomplete.  It's not at all clear if it's freely redistributable in
cleartext.  I'm hiring one of the core developers to clean up the
distribution, and I hope the license conditions will be improved.

More news when I know it.

Another member of the League for Programming Freedom (LPF) www.lpf.org
Brian Bartholomew - bb_at_wv.com - www.wv.com - Working Version, Cambridge, MA