Coda File System

Re: Using Coda for caching on local machine rather than over network? ??

From: Henry Pierce <hmpierce_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 12:35:18 -0500 (EST)
I am not clear on precisely the question you have in mind about Coda,
CDROM's and Ext2fs.  All of these services are autonomous.  If you
had a clearer example of what you would like to try, I would be happy
to be of further assistance.

As  for running a  Coda Client and a Coda Server on the same machine,
there are are only two issues you need to be aware of:

	+ Virtual Memory
	+ Disk Space

As mentioned in our documentation, running a Coda Server, Coda Client
and X-Window on the same machine requires somewhere around 64MB of VM
for a moderately configured Coda-Server and Coda-Client.  So, if you
only have 32MB of VM, for example, , I wouldn't recomment it.

As for disk space, you will need:

Coda-Client-Cache-Space + Coda-Server-RVM-Space + Coda-Data-Storage Space.

These can add up to quite a lot on one machine very quickly.

regards,
henry m. pierce

------------------------
Henry M. Pierce
Research Programmer
Department of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsbugh, PA

hmpierce_at_cs.cmu.edu	hmp_at_infomagic.com

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Scott Smyth wrote:

> Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 11:10:08 -0500
> From: Scott Smyth <ssmyth_at_realminfo.com>
> To: "'linux-coda_at_coda.cs.cmu.edu'" <linux-coda_at_TELEMANN.CODA.CS.CMU.EDU>,
>     "'coda-discuss_at_coda.cs.cmu.edu'"
     <coda-discuss_at_TELEMANN.CODA.CS.CMU.EDU>