Coda File System

Re: CODA for Sun or SGI?

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 10:46:13 -0400 (EDT)
We haven't thought about HSM until recently.  Quality of the code is our
first concern and a lot of work needs to be done there, but it's always
neat to dream up some new features.

OK here are the first porting instructions.  Study the document:

http://telemann.coda.cs.cmu.edu/doc/ps/kernel-venus-protocol.ps

Look at the directory kernel-src/vfs/linux21
for the most transparent implementation we currently have as an example.

When this starts working, you'll need a tool called potemkin. Potemkin is
a kernel code tester.  It speaks the same format to the kernel as Venus,
but it merely "server" a directory on the local disk.

Next for simplicity, we build glibc on the SGI and Solaris machine, that
will eliminate almost all of the problems with include files.

Potemkin is in util-src/potemkin/potemkin -- it should not take too much
hassle to build it.  In fact the easiest for us (if possible) might be for
me to get accounts on some SGI and Solaris machine and get this compiled
for you -- in that way you won't have to learn about configure bogosities
etc.

- Peter -