Coda File System

Re: yer port numbers suck

From: Dan Hollis <goemon_at_sasami.anime.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 1998 15:06:58 -0700 (PDT)
On Thu, 16 Apr 1998, Brian Bartholomew wrote:
> > It's just a bit uncivilized to register 13udp ports.
> 13 doesn't sound like too many to me, if you plan to make good use of
> them.  Ports are there to be used.  You can always give them back
> later.  I hope Coda will be adopted as a backbone of the net.  Would
> 13 ports be too many to register for NFS?

Would it be a bad thing to have CODA only have 1 registered UDP port,
which a client can connect to, and request the port numbers for that
server's coda service ports (which could then be arbitrarily assigned,
eg random). Then you could add new coda services without having to have
new ports officially assigned.

Sort of what the tcpmux port was supposed to do (too bad nobody ever used
it!).

-Dan