Coda File System

Re: 'rm' can't see file

From: <thoth_at_purplefrog.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:10:48 -0400
the prophet <elijah.daniel_at_yale.edu> ,in message <Pine.GSO.3.94.980429124522.83
	21I-100000_at_mars.its.yale.edu>, wrote:

> [triffid:12:48pm]/coda > rm thingy
> rm: remove `thingy'? y
> rm: thingy: No such file or directory
> This was a somewhat unpleasant surprise, to say the least.  Anybody have
> some idea of what is going on here?  I'm 99% sure that taking dumps of the
> volume does not change it at all; even if it did, I'm confused as to how
> ls and cat see the file, but rm doesn't.

  I expect rm is just getting an ENOENT errno from the unlink(2) system call
and it prints the standard error message.  strace(1) should be enlightening.

  The question should be "why is coda returning ENOENT upon removal?"  I can't
remember if that's an error code used in some conflict resolution situations
(mainly because I have yet to use coda for more than 5 minutes at a time :)

--
Bob Forsman                                   thoth_at_gainesville.fl.us
           http://www.gainesville.fl.us/~thoth/