Coda File System

Re: Win 95 stuff (was Re: coda-4.6.0-pre1 available)

From: Derek Fawcus <derek_at_spider.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 06:39:31 +0100
On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 06:10:31PM -0400, Michael Callahan wrote:
> On Wed, 13 May 1998, Derek Fawcus wrote:
> >   Grabbed it and had a (quick) look,  still a lot of background reading to
> > do though...
>
> BTW, I recommend _Systems Programming for Windows 95_ by Walter Oney and
> _Unauthorized Windows 95_ by Andrew Schulman.  The former is more
> immediately useful in doing VxD programming, but the latter gives a better
> overview of why Windows 95 is the way it is.

  Already got them.  Plus a few others including the two Nutshell books on
Win95 and NT filesystems.  There's a bit of overlap,  but between them they
seem to cover everything.

> For building, you need the Windows 95 DDK (which means an MSDN subscription)
> and DJGPP.
  I've got the DDK,  but I've not looked at djgpp in years.  I guess thats
just for the DOS extender?  If so I should be able to cross compile from
Linux (I think the readme said you were doing that?),  and simply link/run
with some of the stuff from djgpp?

> It's a debug aid.  The select() at the core of relay.exe is just as
   [ snip ]

> It proved to be very useful to decouple the kernel code from venus.
> First, relay displays a dump of the packets going between venus and the
> kernel, which is extremely valuable.  Second, having relay separate
> permits changing the minicache code without restarting venus.
>
> In the long run, relay should go away.

  Fair enougth,  I guessed as much.  In the long run I agree,  theres no
point in having too many processes grub about with the data.

  As an aside:  from what I gather of the gross structure,  apart from the
lack of memory mapped files in DPMI tasks,  this will probably all run on
win 3.1/wfw 3.11.

DF
--
Derek Fawcus                                                    derek_at_spider.com
Spider Software Ltd.                                        +44 (0) 131 475 7034