Coda File System

Re: Win 95 stuff (was Re: coda-4.6.0-pre1 available)

From: Michael Callahan <mjc_at_rodagroup.com>
Date: Thu, 14 May 1998 17:21:22 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 14 May 1998, Derek Fawcus wrote:
>   So is there anything that the mc.vxd doesn't yet do that it should?

A few things:

1) There are some functionality holes: e.g.: mkdir isn't implemented.

2) There should be better handling of cases in filenames.  Recall that the
Microsoft world has case-insensitive filenames whereas Coda, of course,
has case-sensitive ones.  It's not totally clear what the right thing to
do is.  It would be good, though, to choose a precise match if one exists,
and otherwise fall back to match case-insensitively.  Note that if an
upcall on a given name fails, it may be necessary to open the containing
directory and read it to find the correctly cased name that matches
(case-insensitively) a given filename.

3) Caching.  There's no name cache.

Also, the port needs a MPR plug-in.  This is a user-level DLL that
provides network service APIs.  There is documentation in the MSDN about
what this needs to do.

The MPR thing is important not because the functionality matters that
much, but because I'm pretty sure it is preventing OLE applications from
opening documents stored on Coda drives.  My bet is that OLE calls the
networking APIs for purposes of registering things in the Running Object
Table or something similar.

Michael