Coda File System

Re: Redhat 5.1 coda server.

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 09:03:32 -0400 (EDT)
Bradley,

Clement is right with his warning: there is a bug in 4.3.0 that we just
fixed last week which causes problems surrounding restarting of clients
and servers. (We are about to come out with 4.6.0 which has the fix).
(Rebooting has never been necessary here. )

However, in your case, I think it is something else.  More or less the
only thing that RPC2_Init does is to create a socket and bind to port
1361.

You should NOT have a client running the before you have a server that is
working.  Is your networking up? Is there a message in /vice/srv/SrvErr?

You can debug this by typing "startserver -d 10 (or even higher like
1000,100000 for very verbose debugging)&" and trying again.

Now this in not the only bad news.  You may to start the fileserver under
gdb (just for once), since sometimes, on some types of machines, the very
first time it is fired up it gets into an infinite loop.  What you would
do is:

gdb /usr/sbin/srv

(gdb) run "the contents of /vice/srv.conf goes here"

Of course we will try to track this bug down too, because it is pretty
irritating.

If all goes well you would see a message "File Server Started" in the
SrvLog file.   Then you must make your root volume (that is mounted
automatically on /coda by the client) and you can fire up a client.

If you have more problems, let me know, then I'll help you.

- Peter -