Coda File System

Re: Coda Network Computer

From: <djb_at_redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 11:34:44 -0400
>     > Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't the Linux initrd facility
>     > handle this?  Couldn't you put your startup stuff in an initrd image
>     > and create your startup script as /linuxrc in the initrd?  I thought
>     > that this kind of thing was the point of the initrd, but I've never
>     > played with it enough to see if it can do what you need above...
>
>     Is there a size limit on how much can be put into initrd image?

Hmm, good question.  I have no idea, but I presume so since LILO is what
is traditionally used for this and the PeeCee BIOS is likely to limit
us.  It always finds a way to, anyway.  :-)

>     We load an initrd from the network (via the EtherBoot 4.0 package,
> currently on a diskette but often stored on a boot ROM).

This isn't Coda specific, but could you give us more details on this?  I
knew that boot ROMs were an option for many ethernet cards, but I didn't
realize you could get the same functionality with a floppy image.  Any
pointers on this would be welcomed.

--Donnie

--
 Donnie Barnes    http://www.redhat.com/~djb    djb@redhat.com   "Bah."
   Challenge Diversity.  Ignore People.  Live Life.  Use Linux.  879.