Coda File System

Re: LWPs in Coda and native platform threads

From: Shafeeq Sinnamohideen <shafeeq_at_cyrus.watson.org>
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 18:05:27 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 26 Jul 1998, Jim Doyle wrote:
> What are the major feats of moving away from LWP's and to native
> threads?  Ultimately, a proprietary user-space threads package
> is a liability IMHO - as we learned with DCE threads on FreeBSD.

  As Peter said, the main problem is that LWPs are by definition
cooperative, not preemptive, and all of Coda is written with that
assumption. Its main benefits are that thread switching is fast and
doesn't involve the kernel, and it provides just enough functionality for
what Coda needs. It would not be too hard to base LWP on top of, say,
pthreads, or something similar. The main benifits that I can see would be
portability and better I/O handling, especially wit a kernel ptherads
implementation.

Shafeq