Coda File System

Re: LWPs in Coda and native platform threads6

From: Shafeeq Sinnamohideen <shafeeq_at_cyrus.watson.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 15:10:02 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 27 Jul 1998, Robert Watson wrote:
> > not start it early ? IF the critical sections in RPC2 are adequately
> > protected, this should be ok.
>
> As I mentioned before (and I believe that the documentation in the
> preemption or rpc2 packages describes), RPC2 is currently covered by a
> single lock covering pretty much all entry points into RPC2.  As a result,
> we'll have to figure out the lock push-down, and this may require some
> re-architecting of some portions of RPC2.

Yes, the single lock is the case currently. Moving locks down to each
Connection and SLEntry would be logical and not too hard, mostly.

> > While this whole thing is more ugly than just replacing LWP, it delivers
> > most of the benefits without a hideous amount of work.
>
> This sounds like an excellent plan.  It also maintains the highest level
> of stability as the changes are introduced, which is clearly a goal with
> Coda so as to move it into production environments on the "sooner" rather
> than "later" schedule :).

If LWP doesn't exist for Solaris yet, porting it to pthreads might not be
bad at that point. Granted that it works under SparcLinux, it will
probably work on Solaris, too.

Shafeeq