Coda File System

Re: Coda with weak networks

From: Bradley C. Kuszmaul <bradley_at_ee.yale.edu>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 08:41:15 -0400
   Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:27:58 +0800 (HKT)
   From: clement_at_cse.cuhk.edu.hk (LEE, Yui-wah)

   Yes, I am extending Coda in a rather interesting direction (as
   part of my PhD-thesis work).

   One problem of of using Coda (and any mobile file systems in general)
   with weak network (phoneline, wireless modem etc) is the bottleneck of
   shipping back updates made on clients back to servers.  Modern files
   become larger and larger and it is a pain to ship them across weak
   networks.  To solve this problem, we may ship only the difference (or
   delta) so as to reduce the network traffic, this is not yet done in
   Coda and should be an interesting project.

Have you looked at using the rdist algorithm for reconciling
differences between files?  This would allow you to compute the diff
without having a copy of the original file on the client.

-Bradley