Coda File System

Coda Performance

From: Ullrich Martini <martini_at_informatik.tu-muenchen.de>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 18:23:56 +0200 (MET DST)
Hello,
I have installed Coda an a Debian 2.0, Kernel 2.1.115.
(I did not use the packages, since I installed it shortly before
they showed up.)
We are evaluating coda for serious use:
- the server seems to be stable, it is running for some days now and I
  could compile a kernel on a coda partition.
- the server seems to be very slow:
  on a coda partition:

atbroy21://coda$ time dd if=linux-2.1.115.tar.gz of=X
23142+1 records in
23142+1 records out

real 4m6.677s
user 0m0.100s
sys  0m0.790s

  but on a ext2 partition:
atbroy21:/export# time dd if=linux-2.1.115.tar.gz of=X
23142+1 records in
23142+1 records out

real 0m10.569s
user 0m0.090s

It's an fast double-Pentium II UW-SCSI computer.

is this an expected result or can I do somthing about that?
I noticed similiar things when I unpacked the tgz in order
to compile the kernel.

Thank you,
Ullrich