Coda File System

ADSL-linked coda servers

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_drgw.net>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 14:52:11 -0500 (CDT)
Now that I have coda working on my PPC boxes at home, I started up a coda
server at work, which is separated by an 265Kbps ADSL line.

While playing aroud a bit I noticed that venus has a tendency to go into
disconnected mode because one of the servers is on a slow link. Is there
any way to specify that different coda servers may be separated by a slow
link? It seems like venus makes the assumption that if one server is
'weak', all other servers must also be weak, even though one of the
servers is on the local machine.

Has anyone else done any experimentation with this? It appears to work
okay, but somewhat slowly (go figure) for read-write replicated volumes. I
also managed to kill both servers while untarring a large source tree on
one machine (with server and venus running) and looking around in the same
directory on the other machine. However, this was before I figured out how
to set up the passwords correctly, so I wan't authenticated, and that
might have been the problem.

Troy Benjegerdes, hozer_at_drgw.net