Coda File System

Re: v4.6.0 kernel 2.1.125, 4.6.6 client

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 21:41:34 -0400
> I'm trying to connect to testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu as a client with
> venus, and running into the following messages:
>
> 20:27:00 GetRootVolume: can't get root volume name!
> 20:27:15 GetRootVolume: can't get root volume name!
> coda_psdev_write: downcall, no SB!
> coda_get_rootfid: error -4
> coda_read_super: coda_get_rootfid failed with -4
> coda_psdev_write: downcall, no SB!
> coda_psdev_write: downcall, no SB!
>
> (those were pasted from dmesg and /usr/coda/etc/console)

I've checked the server, and it is just about doing nothing. I can't tell
from here if you actually reached the server or not. Are you behind a
firewall?

.... Wait a minute 2.1.125 kernel? Then you probably might need to get a
more recent kernel package:

    ftp...:/pub/coda/src/linux-coda-development-4.7.2-2.1.123.tgz

something has changed that made this one incompatible with development
kernels before 2.1.123. (Peter, was this related to the change in the
inode_file_operations structure in the 11x kernels?)

let me know if that solves something for you.