Coda File System

RVM_INIT error: Current time before last recorded - check kernel date

From: Ben Gertzfield <che_at_debian.org>
Date: 30 Nov 1998 13:39:45 -0800
I've just started getting the following error from a Linux box running
Coda 4.6.6; when I upgraded to Linux kernel 2.1.130, I started getting
the following message in /usr/coda/etc/console whenever I restarted
venus (though not on the initial startup, oddly enough!):

13:25:28 /usr/coda/LOG validated at size 0x8dc00
13:25:28 /usr/coda/DATA validated at size 0x235e70
13:25:28 fatal error -- Recov_InitRVM: RVM_INIT failed, internal error Current time before last recorded - check kernel date
13:25:28 Fatal Signal (11); pid 308 becoming a zombie...
13:25:28 You may use gdb to attach to 308

and ls /coda shows the feared NOT_REALLY_CODA.

I attached a gdb to process 308 and did a backtrace, but it couldn't
resolve any of the symbols. (I've got the coda-debug-client package
installed, so I'm a little confused! Shouldn't I have gotten a nice
backtrace?)

Returning the box to the last working version of the kernel, 2.1.127,
does not fix the problem, oddly enough. Upon a reboot, I can explore
most of /coda (cache maybe?) but a cfs la /coda/somedir gives a
Connection timed out error and in /var/log/kern.log I get:

Nov 30 13:19:50 beowulf kernel: coda_pioctl: Venus returns: -107 for
(0x7f000002 ,0x1,0x1)

and

Nov 30 13:20:01 beowulf kernel: coda_pioctl: Venus returns: -110 for
(0x7f000002 ,0x13,0xa)

What's really bizarre is that a venus client running on a separate box
that is not the main Coda server has no problems whatsoever.

I'm guessing this might just be my impatience showing, and I just need
to wait for venus to initialize upon the initial reboot. However, one
would think that killing the venus process and umounting /coda and
restarting venus would not give an error like internal error Current
time before last recorded - check kernel date. :)

Anyone know why this might happen?

Ben

--
Brought to you by the letters Y and P and the number 2.  "Make a
little birdhouse in your soul." -- They Might Be Giants Debian