Coda File System

Re: TODO's for using coda

From: Elliot Lee <sopwith_at_redhat.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 1998 17:29:50 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Peter T. Breuer wrote:

> My personal opinion - from nothing else than trying to get server and
> clients working to see how it all goes, is that coda is still a year
> away from being usable by _our_ student population (they're largely
> educated on windows - "what's a directory?"). The primary requirement
> for the redundancy is invisibility. The reintegration that a user might
> have to do would be beyond them. It'd certainly be beyond the "machine
> minders", who are less intelligent. With luck the profs might be trained
> to do the trick. Opinions? I have only just started to scratch arround
> with coda. I'd be grateful for pointers.

I think reintegration doesn't really become an issue until you start
playing with disconnected operation. On a LAN, shouldn't (hah!) be any
problems.

> What I really want is raid over nfs/the net. But that's not so
> obviously easy as it sounds.

It's called "network block device" - part of the 2.1.x kernels.
-- Elliot
"In film you will find four basic story lines. Man versus man, man
 versus nature, nature versus nature, and dog versus vampire."
    - Steven Spielberg