Coda File System

Re: large servers: please help

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:02:15 -0500
Troy wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but both AFS and coda keep data on the servers
> (in the RVM data file??) which allow one to recover files from 24 hours
> ago. My univerisity has AFS, and I have recoved files I accidentally
> deleted a couple of times like this. I also recall reading in one of the
> coda manuals that this is possible.
>
> If this is the case, the reintegrating client could request the full
> version of the original file to allow reintegration.

In Coda previous versions of a file are not really kept around. However
some cloned backup volumes could still have references to the old version of
your files. These clones are made only when the backup program is running, so
they are not reliable enough for automatic restore purposes, besides I just
had a vacation, where I worked disconnected for about 2 weeks.