Coda File System

Re: CODA clients implement incoming TCP connections from CODA server??

From: Love <lha_at_stacken.kth.se>
Date: 25 Jan 1999 16:59:09 +0100
"Peter J. Braam" <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu> writes:

> On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, SOM Bandyopadhyay wrote:
> >             a) how do u handle DHCP address change?
>
> Probably this works just fine.  I don't think that the IP of the client is
> every stored across disconnection, as you see above.  When that client
> comes back, with a different IP, the server just sees a new client, but
> that is fine.  Admittedly, this may not quite work correctly at the
> moment, but the what I am trying to say is that I don't see a design
> problem.

New client -> the client will not receive the break-ing of callbacks
from the server (that will be sent to the old address).

If the client is smart enough to see that the adress has change you'll have
a performance loss (I don't think that the client, rpc2_LocalHost is
exported from rpc2 but I can't see any use for it).

I don't think that its a real problem.

Love

PS I don't know how useful that afsUUID would be (since the only
documention we have is headerfiles and tcpdump :( ) But if the client could
re-register like the server, it could problably work. DS