Coda File System

Re: SYMBOLIC LINKS ON WINDOWS

From: Kragen Sitaker <kragen_at_pobox.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:52:49 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Robert August Vincent II wrote:
> I've been "lurking" on this list instead of contributing to it up til
> now, but why can't you represent symbolic links by Windows "shortcut" files?
>
> It's been my understanding that Windows "shortcuts" are analogous to
> Unix symlinks.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Windows "shortcuts" are (a) not documented (how to create them) and (b)
not supported by the OS kernel, only by the Windows Explorer shell, so
most applications won't follow them.

Computers are the tools of the devil. It is as simple as that. There is no
monotheism strong enough that it cannot be shaken by Unix or any Microsoft
product. The devil is real. He lives inside C programs. -- philg_at_mit.edu