Coda File System

Re: Compiler flags

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 09 Feb 1999 09:48:35 -0500
monnier+lists/linux/coda/news/@tequila.cs.yale.edu said:
| > General note: please check for behaviour rather than instances. In
| > this case: check if the compiler works with the -fno-exceptions flag,
| > don't check for egcs.

Done that, I wrote 2 macros for autoconf that test whether the CC
compiler or the CXX compiler accepts that flag.

| Indeed.  But in this specific case, I'd just question the usefulness
| of bothering with such a flag.  If you want to tweak performance, the
| -fno-exception is only one of several flags you might want to use.

No, it is not a performance issue, on the windows95/NT platforms we use
cygwin, which is using egcs for both the c and the c++ compilers. There
was some problem with the LWP user threads and the code the compiler
added to handle exceptions. This was solved by adding the -fno-exceptions
flag.