Coda File System

Re: Compiler flags

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_drgw.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 11:08:05 -0600 (CST)
> | > General note: please check for behaviour rather than instances. In
> | > this case: check if the compiler works with the -fno-exceptions flag,
> | > don't check for egcs.
>
> Done that, I wrote 2 macros for autoconf that test whether the CC
> compiler or the CXX compiler accepts that flag.
>
> | Indeed.  But in this specific case, I'd just question the usefulness
> | of bothering with such a flag.  If you want to tweak performance, the
> | -fno-exception is only one of several flags you might want to use.
>
> No, it is not a performance issue, on the windows95/NT platforms we use
> cygwin, which is using egcs for both the c and the c++ compilers. There
> was some problem with the LWP user threads and the code the compiler
> added to handle exceptions. This was solved by adding the -fno-exceptions
> flag.

Which version of egcs is this? I ran into this on egcs-1.1 on PowerPC. It
seems as though this has been fixed in the latest egcs-1.1.1 on
glibc-2.0.110. Either way, it's probably best to keep the flag and
autoconf macros.

| Troy Benjegerdes    |       troy_at_microux.com     |    hozer_at_drgw.net   |
|    Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first.  |
| This message composed with 100% free software.    http://www.gnu.org   |