Coda File System

preliminary questions

From: Fred Medick <fred_at_xoom.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 16:04:38 -0800 (PST)
Hey there,

I'm starting to play around with coda as a possible alternative to NFS,
and I'm in installation purgatory.

I'm trying to install 5.2.0 on a couple of RedHat desktops that are
already fully partitioned. I tried to specify metadata and log
"partitions" as directories and the install failed. So I went back to try
to install them as files, and I get the following error very early on:

> Setting up servers file.
> Enter an id for this server (a number > 0 < 255) : 10
> done!
> Initializing the VSGDB to contain the SCM as E0000100
> /vice/db/VSGDB set up
>
> Setting up ROOTVOLUME file
> Enter the name of the rootvolume (< 32 chars) : volume
>

> Setting up users and groups for Coda
>
> You need to give me a uid (not 0) and username (not root)
> for a Coda System:Administrator member on this server,
> (sort of a Coda super user)
>
> Enter the uid of this user: 6
> Enter the username of this user: william
> ID alread used by "Anonymous".
> ID alread used by "System".
> Assertion failed: PDB_nameInUse(name) == 0, file
> "/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/coda-5.2.0/coda-src/al/pdb.c", line 274
> Sleeping forever.  You may use gdb to attach to process 2384.

NB: the dir /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/coda-5.2.0 does not exist.

How do I erase whatever memory the machine has, and start again?

Thanks,

Fred

Fred Medick
fred_at_xoom.com