Coda File System

Re: db and coda

From: Radha Krishna Pagadala <prk_at_acm.org>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 1999 17:12:47 -0600 (MDT)
On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Laszlo Vecsey wrote:

> As I understand things, one of the nice things about oracle is that the
> servers can be set up with true redundency and fault tolerance. i.e.
> multiple servers can fail and the database will still be accessible.
>
> Would using gdbm or db (sleepycat db, included in GNU glibc), on a
> distributed coda filesystem layered on top of raid5 do the trick?
>
> I know coda efficiency isnt there yet, but can someone comment on how the
> above solution would compare in the foreseable future..
>
> - lv

as far as i understand coda has not been designed for such use, the
thesis of kistler specifically states that coda does not support
distributed databases on top of it, coda works best in an environment
where 'writes' are infrequent, and 'reads' are frequent and where
concurrent updates are rare

conditions that i think will not be met with the intended application

-radha krishna