Coda File System

Re: Mail delivery on CODA: was Re: NFS vs CODA

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_drgw.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 1999 20:43:31 -0500 (CDT)
On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Bruce Campbell wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Troy Benjegerdes wrote:
>
> > >  - small/medium scale testing,
> > >    Nobody has ever done maildelivery in a Coda filesystem, not even for
> > >    a single user. Yes, here a couple of us crazy developers do store our
> > >    email in Coda, but the delivery is still done to the local disk and
> > >    only the `received' mailboxes are stored in /coda.
> >
> > I intend to do just this on my home machines in a few weeks when I get
> > time to set up two coda servers.
>
> Tried it about a year ago for a week cc'ing my mail to a specific codaised
> maildirs, and was intending to shift the ISP onto it.  Upper management
> wasn't too happy about a fleet of identical machines being able to handle
> any http/pop3/smtp/squid request over two disparete physical locations,
> and it was shelved. [1]

Were you planning on using Coda as a filesystem for the web server? I'm
curious as to how you were planning on setting this up (I'd like to do
something like this myself, except with two servers separated by ADSL
links.

> > Any suggestions before I try this? (Yes, I'm going to use procmail to send
> > duplicate copies of all my non-mailing list mail to another 'regular'
> > machine when I try this ;) )
>
> It works for the most part, but sometimes it can take a while to deliver a
> message, particularly if you get a lot in one chunk.

Hrrm, what CODA version was this? Would a slow delivery of one message
back up everything else in the queue, or would delivery proceed in
parrallel with smaller messages? (I suppose this depends on your mail
delivery software)

> --==--
> Bruce.
>
> [1] Upper management weren't too cluey in the way of reliability, and
>     thankfully I've changed jobs, putting an end to such amusing things as
>     resoldering HDDs of primary (and only) mail/auth/web servers at silly
>     hours. ;)

| Troy Benjegerdes    |       troy_at_microux.com     |    hozer_at_drgw.net   |
|    Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first.  |
| This message composed with 100% free software.    http://www.gnu.org   |