Coda File System

Re: laptop went to redhat 6.0, venus stops working

From: Michael D. Ivey <ivey_at_realminfo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:56:56 +0000
On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 04:12:25PM -0400, jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu wrote:
> | My codasrv is a redhat 5.2 box, and venus is on the former 5.2 laptop,
> | which i just took to 6.0...and venus won't start.
>
> What kernel version does 6.0 use, and do you have a coda.o module in
> /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/fs

2.2.5-15, and yes, coda.o is there and being loaded (according to
lsmod)

> Actually the error you show seems to indicate that the kernel module is
> there, and that venus is sending messages to it before the filesystem
> is mounted (i.e. it is not a fatal error).

$ venus -init
Coda Venus, version 4.6 (28)
coda_psdev_write: downcall, no SB!
Just mapped in region (20000000,4096)
Just mapped in region (21000000,4481024)

and then it hangs...

> Is there anything useful in /usr/coda/etc/console or /usr/coda/
> venus.cache/venus.log?

in console, there's this error:
19:58:17 fatal error -- CommInit: getservbyname failed; check /etc/services

but /etc/services seems OK...still has my old entries.  i hope it's
that simple, so i attached the services file below.

hope that helps...am i the first to make the 6.0 jump?

--
Michael D. Ivey, Dir. of Software Development | "I think I went mad then."
       REALM Information Technologies         |