Coda File System

Re: How small can CODA get ?

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:21:15 -0400
peuc_at_peuchert.de said:
| Hi everybody,
| I posted a similar question some days ago, but now I want some
| numbers.

| If we got a machine running Linus with 8 or 16 meg of memory( storage
| + program ), could this installation support CODA and leave enough
| space for other things ?

| For example just a partition of about 500k, for sharing folders with a
| desktop computer.

| - alex

Before I got here at CMU I ran a coda-client _and_ server on a single
16MB 486-66. Of course it was hardly usable, and a recompile cost me
at least 4 hours. But it was enough to play around with the system.

Effectively, for a client with a 200MB cache you would use about
20MB of (virtual) memory for the meta-data (RVM). So for an 8-16MB
machineI would advice to use a local cache between 40 and 80 MB. That
way startup and occasional internal cache-scans will be relatively
fast, because all the RVM data can be in memory at the same time.

If you start running things like X or big applications, most of
Coda's RVM data will be swapped to disk. However, the regular cache
scan's will cause more swapping than normal to occur.