Coda File System

Re: [Fwd: newbie question: startserver fails]

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 09:24:54 -0400
Hi Mike,

The problem is that pre-5.0 versions of the coda client don't work
on glibc-2.1.x. And the 5.x.x versions have got a slightly modified
RPC protocol over the network. So you need to run both a 5.x client
(for the glibc problems), and a 5.x server (to have the client talk
to it).

btw. The server fileformats are essentially 100% compatible (except
for the user/group databases), so you can just drop in a 5.x server,
and read:
	http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/useradmin-mini-HOWTO.html

Which describes how the new pdbtool works, and how to upgrade from the
existing user.coda and group.coda scheme. (don't throw away user.coda
and group.coda yet, we've just switched from gdbm to libdb-1.85, as we
had problems replicating the user/group databases between different
platforms.)