Coda File System

Re: How small can CODA get ?

From: Alexander Peuchert <peuc_at_peuchert.de>
Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 17:32:42 +0200 (MET DST)
Hi, everybody

to get things clear. I know that Linux runs in less then 4MB.

My question was:

If we got only 8/16MB storage and execution space( on PDAs there is no HD,
maybe a CF, but that's not the point here), would Coda fit into it
additionally to the Linux dist.

Coda should only manage about 500k, not more. Would it be possible?

I don't know much about Coda. But could it help to remove Venus and
put the required stuff into the kernel ?

On Wed, 12 May 1999, Peter J. Braam wrote:

> Alexander Peuchert wrote:

> > > I think Linus needs _WAY_ more memory to run than 8/16MB !! ;-) ;-)
> >
> > Ooops ...
>
> Absolutely not.  Linux will happily run on 8 to 16M machines.
>
> Sure running netscape and staroffice might get a little hard, but a
> simple file server, WWW server etc (perhaps not Coda though -- :)  would
this is the point of my question ... :-)

> do fine.
>
> - Peter -

- alex

Alexander Peuchert