Coda File System

Re: Changing ownership of coda-mounted directories?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 18:43:39 -0400
grib_at_cs.utexas.edu said:
| I can't seem to change the ownership of any directories created in the
| /coda mounted filesystem (normal files have no problem).  Every time I
| try, I get the following error:

| # chown grib temp
| chown: temp: Invalid argument
|
| AFAICT I should be able to change the owner of a directory; I can't
| see a way to do it with cfs, so I assume the standard chown should
| work.  Any help out there?

I tried it and found the problem. Chown cannot be done on files which
haven't seen `stores' yet. But the test was also triggered for
directories. You can create an empty file in the temp directory and
from then on the chown will work. I've already put a proper fix in the
tree, which will go out as coda-5.2.4 this week.