Coda File System

Re: Server Startup problems

From: Ben Woodard <ben_at_valinux.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 21:49:22 -0700
> Ben Woodard <ben_at_valinux.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am having some problems getting my server to startup. At first
> > glance they appear to be similar to the problems that Len Burns had a
> > few weeks ago.

> > In my case I did not run vice-setup and I didn't modify the srv.conf
> > file and my srv.conf file looks fine.
> >
> > -rvm /dev/sdb5 /dev/sdb3 209715200
>
> So, did you run the command rvmutl (which initializes the rvm log) and the
> command rdsinit (which initializes the rds) ?  If you ran vice-setup-rvm
> (invoked by vice-setup), the two programs will be invoked automatically,
> if you did not ran vice-setup-rvm, you must rum them manually.

No. I've never even heard of that command. However, since I sent the
email out, I tried running a vice-setup-rvm but it failed.

[root_at_wythe /root]# vice-setup-rvm

You need a small log disk partition, preferrably on a disk by itself.
You need a metadata partition of approx 4% of you filespace.

For trial purposes you may give oridnary files instead of raw
partitions. Keep all size small if you do this.
Production servers will want partitions for speed.

WARNING: you are going to play with your partitions now.
verify all answers you give.

WARNING: these choices are not easy to change once you are up and running.

Are you ready to set up RVM? [yes/no] yes

What is your log partition? /dev/sdb5

The log size must be smaller than you log partition.
We recommend not more than 30M log size, and 2M is a good choice.
What is your log size? (enter as e.g. '12M') 10M

What is your data partition (or file)? /dev/sdb3

The data size must be approx 4% of you server file space.
We have templates for servers of approx: 500M, 1G, 2.2G, 3.3G, 8G
(you can store less, but not more on such servers).
The corresponding data sizes are  22M, 44M, 90M, 130M, 315M.
(use 330M only on very fast machines)
Pick one of the defaults, otherwise I will bail out

What is the size of you data partition (or file)
[22M,44M, 90M, 130M, 200M, 315M]: 200M

WARNING: DATA and LOG partitions are about to be wiped.

  --- log area: /dev/sdb5, size 10M.
  --- data area: /dev/sdb3, size 200M.

Proceed, and wipe out old data? [y/n] y

LOG file has been initialized!

Rdsinit will initialize data and log.
This takes a while.
rvm_initialize succeeded.
Going to initialize data file to zero, could take awhile.
done.
?  ERROR: rds_zap_heap RVM_EINTERNAL.
Error in rdsinit. Exiting.