Coda File System

Advice wanted on nfs-mounting coda volumes

From: Nix <nix_at_esperi.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:30:39 +0100 (BST)
Yes, this subject is seriously meant :)

I would like to install coda on this site (and have a test installation
running OK) and I'd like to move some stuff that other people can see
over to coda.

Problem: a couple of machines don't have remotely enough physical memory
to run the client (8Mb max, and they've got to run other things in there
too). So I thought of NFS-exporting /coda from one of the coda boxes to
the small boxes.

Nice idea, but unfortunately the Linux nfsd does, er, evil tricks, like
using setfsuid() to transform itself into other users, and so forth.

Effectively, the nfsd will need the ability to become any user at any
time, and will need to hold all tokens :( or so it seems to me.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to do this? Is anyone doing it?

(If not it probably means `no coda here', which is a bit of a bugger,
because it looks superb, if you ignore the blasted separate-from-Unix
authentication system...)

--
`A nuked site is unlikely to flap its routes. It's likely to go down
 and stay down for a very, very long time.' - Ryan O'Connell on