Coda File System

venus resident set size

From: Nix <nix_at_esperi.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 17:49:16 +0100 (BST)
The RSS of venus is always rather high (on Linux boxes, this is,
although I doubt it differs substantially on *BSD boxes).

In fact, no matter what, I cannot get it to shrink *at all* for very
long, even if the coda fs is apparently unused. (By contrast, the server
starts up with a frightening RSS but it almost all gets swapped
out. Normally I have less than three megs swapped in, in fact; the rest
is presumably unused RVM data and so forth.)

I think this is due to the various cache scans &c that venus indulges in
every five minutes or so.

One question, then: Is it possible to slow this down? eg to get it to do
a DataWalk, RVM truncation, bandwidth estimation &c every half an
hour, say, rather than every five minutes?

(And would there be any major disadvantages to this?)

--
`The plague, dirt, lack of running water, illiteracy, ignorance, and
 oppressive political and social systems are what made the dark ages what