Coda File System

Re: Weird RPC problems

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 16:28:38 -0400
On Thu, Aug 26, 1999 at 11:01:24PM -0400, Pete Gonzalez wrote:
> I am unable to create / mount volumes due to what appears to be an RPC
> problem.  If anyone has a quick answer for what's going wrong here, I'd be
> very appreciative.  :-)

> Cannot get port from rpc2portmap; exiting

The rpc2portmap program is not running, and therefore the updateclnt and
updatesrv programs fail to run. As a result the files in /vice/db are
not kept in sync.

I forgot what OS/distrib you are running, but on a Redhat linux do,

On all server machines,
 /etc/rc.d/init.d/update.init stop
 /etc/rc.d/init.d/update.init start
 ps auxwww | grep rpc2portmap

Then on the SCM,
 bldvldb.sh

And check if the files in /vice/db have similar timestamps on both
machines. If that is the case some sanity should have returned.