Coda File System

Re: Problem: Permission denied, downcalls, no clog possible

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 15:28:41 -0400
On Thu, Sep 30, 1999 at 08:42:16PM +0200, Clemens Oertel wrote:
> Here the details:
> while starting, codaserv returns a whole bunch of 'coda_downcall: opcode
> 28, no sb' and 'coda_downcall: opcode 30, no sb' in the kernel messages
> - whatever that means, i couldn't find anything about it in the docs.
> after all the downcalls, it reports the rootfid and rootinode (both look
> alright).

The coda_downcall messages are caused by venus, the coda-client, not
codasrv, the coda-server. Those messages actually indicate that the
kernel succesfully avoided crashing ;) Venus tries to purge any leftover
state from the kernel when it starts, but the kernel isn't completely
initialized yet. So these messages are pretty harmless.

> As i said, when trying to access /coda, the system returns 'permission
> denied'. in venus.log appears a line 'volent::IsUnderRepair' as well as
> 'Access: Returns perissiondenied'. Now, this 'IsUnderRepair'-state began
> right after booting and lasts forever, so what can i do about that?
> I think it's an educated guess that the 'IsUnderRepair' causes the
> impossibility of accessing /coda or clog'ing, but i haven't got a clue
> what to do about it, as i can't even become admin.
>
> so please, please please - give me some help.
>
> truly,
> clemens

Good guess, it looks like you have a conflict in the root volume (or
even worse, the root directory of the root volume)

It is impossible to repair conflicts in the root volume. /coda cannot be
turned into a symlink and cfs doesn't work if it cannot access
/coda/.CONTROL or some weird file like that. But it can be fixed by
creating and using a temporary root volume.

- create a volume on the server:
    createvol_rep dontpanic E0000100 /vicepa

- restart the client, using this new volume as the rootvolume:
    venus -init -r dontpanic

- authenticate & mount the old root into the new root.
    clog admin
    cfs mkm /coda/root coda:root

- fix any conflicts in the old root volume.
- restart (and reinit) the client to go back to the old root
    venus -init