Coda File System

Re: largest Coda server size?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 18:51:52 -0400
On Thu, Oct 14, 1999 at 09:13:47AM +0200, Major A wrote:

> I hear of limitation in Coda as to the maximum size of server storage
> space, as well as venus cache size. Can you tell me what these sizes are
> at the moment? How close is the following to the maximum: 4GB storage
> (/vicepa), 500MB venus cache?
>
> Thanks,
>
>    Andras

Hi Andras,

At the moment the limits are not well explored. There is a known `hard'
limit around 1GB RVM data, as this has to be mapped as an anonymous
mapping in the process's virtual memory space. At the moment this
approximately translates into a 50GB Coda server or a 10GB Coda client
cache. However, the practical limit is probably lower.

AFAIK, this limit largely depends on the the amount of real memory vs.
swap space in the machine in question.